40 Things

Tuesday, November 22, 2005

6

Since I’ve started posting things that are obvious to my regular readers, my next post has to be I love cycling.

I was about five years old when I learnt to ride a bike, and rode for fun until I was sixteen years old and got my driver’s license (normal age in the USA). From there, bicycle riding took a back seat to driving.

After moving out on my own, the next time I owned a bike was when I was 22 years old. I didn’t want to own one, but my car had died and I had no other way of getting around, so I bought one from K-Mart for transportation (I was too poor to buy a new car). It ONLY served as transportation to me. That bike was eventually stolen, but luckily I had bought a second hand car shortly before that happened.

The next time I own a bike was last year, when I bought my current one. I had wanted to buy one when I lived in Poland, but was travelling in mid-June and returned in mid-September (prime cycling season), so I didn’t.

When I moved to Germany, I noticed that people used bicycles for everyday transportation (at least in my part). After a few months, I decided that I was tired of walking and wanted a bike. However, I was too lazy to look for one in a second hand newspaper, and couldn’t afford a new one. So, I did nothing.

Then it happened…my current bike fell into my lap. For the first eight months, I used it as a method of transportation and occasional rides along the Rhein. Then, after listening to some of my students tell me how much fun ‘cycling’ was, I embarked on my first ‘long’ cycling trip and found my real love for the sport.

I took a break for a while, and then took a few trips that weren’t as far, but finally found someone to go cycling with, so I did. Granted, he didn’t like cycling as much as I did, but he still went along once a month or so. However, July and August not good weather months here and I was quite disappointed that I wasn’t able to do any cycling. Then September happened.

The weather in September and October was mostly very nice, so I did a lot of cycling then. I put my ‘tarty bag’ on, took my camera, book, packed a lunch and off I went for the day. I did this most weekends of both months, and enjoyed all that the first half of our beautiful autumn had to offer.

I can’t wait til cycling season next year!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home