40 Things

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

20

I have actually seen people dashing through the snow in a one horse open sleigh.

I was on a train travelling through a very rural area between Warsaw and Lublin (Poland) in January 2000 in the middle of the cold and snowy Polish winter, when something on the other side of the window caught my eye. To my astonishment, I saw a brown horse at full gallop pulling a topless black sleigh on a wooden runner with four people in it through the deep snow.

Were they just out for an afternoon ride? Were they going to a nearby town for a bit of shopping? What were they doing? Unfortunately, the train was going faster than them and they were out of sight by the time I finished fumbling through my bag for my camera.

It was an amazing scene that I'll never forget.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home